Wednesday 1 August 2012

Finding my groove

Day 1 started spectacularly by hiking Signal Hill with a friend. The trek isn't long, but it is uphill, with lots and lots of steps. I am coming to love morning exercise which completely shocks me, sleep has always won over voluntarily waking early for this girl. However, we are in the midst of one gorgeous summer and sun definitely makes a happier me. On top of that, I'm lucky to have some pretty spectacular girls in my life who share similar goals and meeting up with them makes early morning rises worth it.

This time around, it being my second Whole30, I am also committing to following Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Fitness framework, whereby I "lift heavy things"a minimum of twice a week, complete one sprint a week, move slowly/play or rest three times a week and have one session of high intensity exercise. Something that has always appealed to me is being strong, so when I read about Sisson's approach, I loved it. It's not about a ton of time in the gym, it's about being functionally strong so life continues to go smoothly and you look and feel your best. His fitness philosophy just makes sense, I encourage you to read more if you are interested or haven't been seeing results from hours of gym time. And if you think this can't possibly produce results, check out his page for some success stories.

It was a holiday here today, so we spent it together by visiting a nature park. There is a 3km walk through the woods where you see animals in their natural habitat and the boys loved it. I loved seeing my babes walk the whole three K, save for little bear needing a lift towards the end.


One thing I thought I would use this blog for is a stand-in of a meal recap I would have had with Leanne if I was at work. So, here's today's eats:

Breakfast: Tex-Mex turkey with sweet potato, 2 slices of kale and mushroom frittata, some raw peppers and cucumber coins. Two cups of coffee with canned coconut milk, whisked.


Snack: Half a nectarine, a clementine and some cucumber coins. I wasn't that hungry, that's a huge breakfast above.

Dinner: Hamburger sans bun, chopped tomato and basil salad, grilled asparagus with lemon, peppers and five olives. I am starting to develop a fondness for olives, and it certainly increases the umamami properties of a simple meal. I wanted to have Dijon mustard with the burger, but there are sulphites in it. Damn. This is the kind of thing that makes the Whole30 a challenge - find me a good vinegar or mustard without those things - please!


Snack: As I write this, I am enjoying a few Concord grapes.

What I missed: chocolate!!! Surprise.

Finally, for those of you who have tried to comment before, please try again. We fixed the settings and now you can comment without a google profile.

2 comments:

  1. I * wish* I could do that - eat olives, that is. I tried. I had decided before my first Whole30 that I would acquire a taste for the little buggers but that was a dismal failure. It would be so convenient for snacking on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love olives! But I've never really gotten into eating them regularly. Food Nazi, where do I find good olives?

    Can anyone tell me why they are good for me? Any additional benefits other than being a convenient snack that is Whole30 compliant?

    Sorry, if this is already covered in It Starts With Food, I'm not finished yet.

    ReplyDelete